SETUP & SUPPORT GUIDE
This guide is designed to help you with basic product setup and common troubleshooting issues. Please use this as a reference BEFORE contacting your Baker CSM or Support (email@example.com) with issues or questions.
*All material and images contained in this document are the property of Baker Technologies and may not be reproduced or distributed without Baker’s explicit, written consent.*
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Sending a Connect Message
- Using Filters with Connect
- Pre-Scheduling Connect Messages
- Product Notifications
- Create a Custom Shortlink
- Connect Analytics
- BEST PRACTICES & OBJECTIVES
- INDEX OF SETTINGS
The average person is exposed to 4,000 ads per day and that number is only growing. On top of that, 75% of marketing emails are unread. This makes it nearly impossible to reach your target audience. Connect allows you to send targeted text messages that actually get read; we have a 98% open rate!
With Connect you can filter your audience into different groups, which allows you to target the right messages to the right customers at the right time. You can see individual campaign statistics in a way no other solution can provide. The Connect data includes:
- How many customers received your message
- The total number of clicks on the hyperlink in your message
- The number of customers that came into your store within 48 hours of getting your message
Please click the links below for video overviews of key Connect features. Refer to the Setup section for more details on each:
Before using Connect, there are several considerations outside of the Baker platform to review:
STATE SMS & ADVERTISING REGULATIONS
- Check with your state compliance officer or board to ensure that you’re complying with all local and state regulations.
- Confirm with your compliance officers that all promos, deals, offerings, and advertisements are not breaking any laws regarding advertising or marketing.
- Every message that a customer receives includes the auto-appended message, “Text STOP to end”. The customer can opt out of all marketing messages by texting STOP to the number that they receive your messages from. They can rejoin your Connect list by texting UNSTOP to the same number at any time.
This section outlines the setup in Baker needed to get your Connect messages ready and available to send to your customer list to increase engagement, inform customers about deals and new products, and place online orders via the link that can be appended to every message.
SENDING A CONNECT MESSAGE
Our Connect tool allows you to notify your customers about things such as coveted strain restocks, shortages, long lines, and specials. The Connect tool collects cell phone numbers through the customers who enter their phone number at Checkin or through any lists you import into Baker.
To send a text message, select the customer type you would like to reach using the filters section on the right hand side of the screen:
When you select a filter, the 'Total reach' will update accordingly to show you how many customers will receive your message.
Click here to learn more about selecting filters.
After setting your Connect filters, enter the content into the SMS text field.
The shortlink to your Baker menu is auto-appended to the end of your message. If you want to include a different link in your SMS, navigate to the ‘Outreach’ section of your preferences. There you will find a field `Auto-append link for SMS outreach`. Here you can select to add a custom link. Be sure to scroll and click `Save`. More info on that further down.
If you opt to add a link to your message, it will be shortened to a `http://tbkr.co/…` URL.
Whenever sending out a message, we suggest you first use the 'Send Test' option. This will give you a chance to proofread your text, test the shortlink, and ensure that any emojis you’ve included look how you want them. You can enter your number here to see how your SMS will look when your customers receive it. The `Send Test` option is sent from a transactional number and not a marketing number, so don't be surprised if you receive the text from a different number when your campaign is sent to your full list.
USING FILTERS WITH CONNECT
Your Connect filters give you the power to strategically engage certain types of customers to maximize your dispensary's traffic and retention.
Here is a breakdown of each filter provided in both the SMS and Email Connect tool:
1. The Med/Rec filter allows you to target your medical patients or recreational customers only.
Note: This field is only relevant for accounts with both medical and recreational customers
2. Filter by Contact Type has two options. The contact type includes both users and leads. A user is any customer who has a Baker account and/or who has placed an online order. A lead is a customer who has entered their phone number or email into your system, but who has not yet created a Baker account or placed an online order.
3. Filter by Locations allows you to choose only in state or out of state customers. This location is determined based on the self-reported state on the customer or patient's account. It can also be self-reported by leads who sign up via your Cell Capture widget.
4. Filter by Last Visit Date gives you the option to contact customers who haven’t ordered online or checked in for a certain amount of time.
You’re able to select ‘Has not visited since’ or ‘Has visited since’ in order to select a specific date. This is a great tool to allow you to target people who haven’t been in since a specific day, getting their thoughts back on your business and hopefully back in the door.
5. Filter by Spend option allows you to target based on the amount of money spent through Baker online ordering.
6. Filter by Checkin count allows you to target either first time, repeat, or loyal customers.
7. Filter by Product Notification allows you to target customers who have selected specific products they are interested in receiving updates on. Specifically, a customer interested in "Blue Dream Shatter" could be sent notifications based on a special you are running for this product. To build more Product Notifications, head to your orders page.
8. Filter by Account Preferences allows you to target customers by the interests they select. A customer can select their preferences at various touch points, including Cell Capture widget, Shop, or Patient Intake. For example, if you want to send a message to customers interested in Flower and Concentrates, you might want to target them specifically while leaving out customers who are just interested in Edibles. This is achieved by selecting Flower and Concentrates from the Account Preferences drop-down menu.
9. Filter by Event allows you to target people who attended an event and checked in to your event Checkin station. This allows you to reach out to those customers specifically, possibly with a follow up message or a special promotion for those attendees.
10. Filter by Raffle Entrants allows you to target your customers who entered a Raffle that you had setup in-store. You might be offering a special related to this raffle, or you may simply want to follow up with those who came to check in at the store during that time.
11. Filter by Raffle Winners allows you to target the customers who were drawn as Winners from a specific Raffle. You can control of sending your set of customers who may have won a special or prize a targeted message.
Whenever you select a filter, the total reach number will update accordingly. This shows you the number of customers you’ll message that meet the specifications of your selected filters.
PRE-SCHEDULING CONNECT MESSAGES
The Connect tool is an incredibly valuable aspect of the Baker platform. Just one text has been shown to make dispensaries like yours an extra $10,000 in revenue! Here at Baker, we know how hectic things can be when it comes to running your dispensary. Staying connected with your customers should be quick and easy.
Using the pre-scheduled messaging tool in Connect lets you write out your messages for the week in a matter of minutes. This way, you can ensure you’re sending consistent messaging to your customers while also multiplying your ROI with Baker.
To pre-schedule an SMS, simply enter in the message you plan to send.
Then set your filters accordingly. Filters for pre-scheduled SMS are relevant to the time of send. If you choose 'last visit date' was within 7 days, then this will be in reference to the 7 days leading up to the scheduled date. This means the calculated reach when scheduling an SMS will likely differ slightly from the actual reach on send.
After reviewing your message and settings, simply select the 'Pre-Schedule' option and set the date and time you’d like the message to go out to your contacts.
You can view and delete any saved pre-scheduled messages in your Connect tool. To delete the pre-scheduled text, simply click the X button under Cancel.
CREATE A CUSTOM SHORTLINK
When you send your customers or patients a text message via the Connect tool, you can add a link, allowing your clients to search your online menu, your dispensary’s website, or any other page you'd like them to see. We offer a handy way for you to shorten this link, allowing you to use more of the valuable characters available to send a message. This also allows us to track and display the CTR of your message.
By default, the Connect tool allows you to send a message of 143 characters. ‘Text STOP to end’ is automatically applied to all texts for compliance reasons.
When you select the option to add a link in the message, we will shorten the link into a convenient shortlink. This lowers the available characters in the message to 122.
Selecting the option to include a link trims a long URL down to a 21-character addition to the text. This will be the same for any size link you decide to include.
You can choose your link options in Preferences. You can access the Preferences page on the upper righthand corner of your Kitchen by selecting the Circle/Person Icon and selecting Preferences.
Select Outreach on the key provided on the top-left corner of Preferences and scroll down to the SMS section. You'll see a setting for using called Auto-appended link for SMS outreach. Menu shortlink is selected by default.
Using a custom link will open up the option to enter a custom URL. A custom URL could lead to a survey you've created, a custom webpage for an event, or your own website. This shows the field you need to fill out if you use a Custom Link:
Keep in mind that when you use the custom link, this will still be converted to a unique, shortened link in your Connect messages. This will cut down on the number of characters used in your text.
As always, remember to scroll down to save any changes you've made in Preferences.
Here is an example of how the shortlink is shown in a text message:
The Product Notification tool allows you to digitize and streamline your strain alert process. This tool provides the ultimate VIP experience to customers who come in requesting particular products or strains not currently in stock. This is also a great way to incentivize signups by letting customers know they can be the first to know when their favorite product is back in stock.
You can create a new Product Notification and add a customer to any existing notification in the 'Actions' section of the Orders dashboard.
Click Product Notifications to enter in the custom notifications or choose a previously created notification from the dropdown menu. After creating a new product notification or selecting one from the menu, add the customer's phone number to the list for this product.
Once you save, this new notification will be added to the drop-down list of existing Product Notifications, as well as on the `Notifications’ page of your Shop menu. Only make Product Notifications that are customer facing.
As soon as an item on your Product Notification list is back in stock, you can notify all customers who signed up for this alert using the Connect tool. Use the Product Notification filter to access this specific contact list. This text isn’t automated based on inventory updates. It’s a filter you can apply to messages to target customers interested in that product (or similar products). These filters are not currently able to be deleted.
An editable text copy will auto-populate with the relevant information. Feel free to tweak this message in order to match your business’s voice and brand.
The same Connect filters you use for SMS also apply to sending out a Connect email. Baker doesn’t focus as much on email since many users don’t have an address in their profile, but it’s still a good option for sending out periodic emails like newsletters.
With every Connect message you send, Baker will provide insights into the success of that campaign. These analytics all live within the Connect page and are viewable through the last ten campaigns.
- Reach - This number lets you know how many total customers received your message. Please note that Reach can take up to an hour to finalize.
- Clicks - This field details how many customers clicked on the link that is auto-appended to every message. If you choose not to include a shortlink, Clicks will say `0` by default. This will also be the case if you put a link directly in the SMS box and not in the custom URL field in you `Preferences`
- CTR - This is an acronym for click-through-rate, the ratio of customers who click on a specific link to the number of total customers who view your page. If you don’t include a shortlink, the CTR will not show any percentage.
- Checkins - This is how many customers came in and checked in on your Checkin tablets within 48 hours of a message being sent. It details the number as well as the percentage.
**If you’d like a report that breaks down the analytics for every message that you’ve set over your company’s lifetime with Baker or for a certain period of time, reach out to your Customer Success Manager (CSM).
OBJECTIVES & BEST PRACTICES
The following list represents key objectives, recommendations and other best practices Baker has identified to ensure you are utilizing the platform to the fullest. We want to help set your business up for success.
While not every item will or should apply to your business needs, considering those that do and creating a plan to implement them is vital. Please work with your Baker CSM if you have any questions, would more information on anything listed, or simply need some help getting started.
At Baker, we want you to have a quick and effective tool to communicate with your customers. We have a great list of battle-tested connect messages here, but you'll eventually want to start writing your own. We get it … it's a ton of fun!
Before we can wander into the finer points of writing a cannabis-focused text message, we want to lay out the fundamentals of writing any Connect message. These components are absolutely key to a revenue-generating message! To help make more money every time you hit send, use this checklist:
When sending a text be sure to check your Kitchen settings for the following:
- Online ordering is turned on (if applicable)
For your message, make sure to include each of these components:
- The name of your store
- A clear explanation of why you’re texting (e.g. limited supply, strain alert, event notification)
- A clear Call to Action
- A link to your widget or Baker menu
- No typos or grammar mistakes! Abbreviations are fine if used appropriately, but be careful.
- The right character count (Either 139 or 160 characters)
Send a test text to a coworker and see what they think. This step is the most important, and you wouldn't believe the types of errors that make it to the stage when neglecting to test your text. Once you've fixed any errors in your test SMS, hit send on the updated version. You’ll instantly be on your way toward a stronger relationship with your customers!
When sending a text with a deal be sure to check your Kitchen settings for the following:
- Online ordering is turned on
- The Promo in your message is built and active in your Kitchen. Consider taking a test run or previewing your menu.
For your message, make sure to include each of these components:
- The name of your store
- Clear explanation of the deal, and don’t include more than two deals in one text
- A clear Call to Action
- A link to your widget or Baker menu
- No typos or grammar mistakes! Abbreviations are ok if used appropriately, but be careful.
- The right character length
It's doubly important to have your coworker read over a message with a Promo since you're encouraging a purchase. Mistakes can cost dollars in these scenarios. Send a test, fix any mistakes, and fire away!
Once you’ve gotten used to sending out text messages, you’ll know how fun it can be for you and how profitable it can be for your business. Send your next message today!
CALL TO ACTION GUIDE
A call-to-action (CTA) is one of the key components to a successful Connect message. CTAs tell your customers what to do and set a very clear expectation of what’s in-store for them once they take action. CTAs usually go at the end of a message next to your menu link, but there can be exceptions. Remember, it’s up to you to experiment with your customers to see what works the best with them! To help you get started, here are five calls-to-action:
CTA’s (If you’re offering Online Ordering):
- Buy It Now!
- Browse Here
- Reserve Now
- Save More Here >
- Add to Cart
CTA’s (If you’re not offering Online Ordering):
- Come in to the Shop today!
- Come in and get yours - limited supply
- Follow the link to see event details
- Follow the link to sign up
Call-to-actions make it easier for your customers to make a purchasing decision, and these five make sure the answer is yes. If you’re not already using a call-to-action in your text messaging, pick one and watch for a difference in your conversion rate. If you’re already using a CTA, experiment with one from this list or mix and match to make a totally new one!
Here are some common questions and some not so common answers:
Q: How many Connect messages should we send a week?
A: While every store will have a unique customer base, case studies have shown that sending 1-2 Connect messages is the spot where your customers feel well-informed about your deals and offerings but not overwhelmed. If you utilize filters on a regular basis and send targeted messages, 2-3 Connect messages a week has shown to be most effective. **To be 100% TCPA compliant, you should not be sending more than one Marketing SMS to the same individual within a 24hr period (protects them against spam)**
Q: How can a customer unsubscribe from your Connect message list and how can they rejoin?
A: Your customers can text STOP at any time to the number that they receive your messages from. They can also text UNSTOP to rejoin the list.
Q: Can I add a customer’s number to the list if they haven’t checked in on the tablets?
A: If they’ve never checked in before, you can go to the Kitchen and click the avatar in the top right. You should see “Add Customer” there. This will direct you to a page that allows you to add the customer’s phone number, their state of residence, his or her interests, and if he or she is a medical patient.
Q: Is there a text-to-join number I can advertise to get customers signed up for messages?
A: Yes. Your personal text-to-join number can be found in your Baker preferences within the Outreach section.
Q: Can we use emojis or send MMS messages?
A: You can use emojis in your text messages. We don’t have an emoji keyboard so you will have to copy and paste the emoji into the text box. Emojipedia is a great place to find emojis for your Connect messages. For the time being, we do not offer the ability to send MMS messages or gifs.
Q: Can a customer unsubscribe from marketing messages but still receive points through Loyalty?
A: Yes. Any customer who unsubscribes by either texting STOP or asking your staff to remove them will still have the ability to use Checkin and also place online orders. Customer can reply `Stop` to both the transactional text messages (e.g. Order Updates) and marketing messages (e.g. your messages). If a customer unsubscribes from marketing messages, they’ll still receive order and checkin updates.
Q: A customer asked to be removed from our Connect list. How can I remove them from the Baker Kitchen?
A: Your staff has the ability to go into the Customer Center, lookup that customer’s phone number, and view his or her profile. Within that customer or patient’s customer card, there is a drop down menu within the Preferences section near the bottom of the profile that allows you to unsubscribe or resubscribe any customer from your marketing Connect messages
Q: Can a customer sign up for Product Notifications without having to come into the store?
A: Yes. When a customer creates an account, he or she has the ability to navigate to his or her profile where he or she can sign up for Product Notifications, select more interests, and also see how many points he or she has available as well as what rewards are available.
INDEX of SETTINGS
This section contains a list all the names of settings/fields and what they control. Most fields are covered in the Setup section, but use this as a quick, searchable reference not specific to any of the steps outline in Setup.
- Unique Menu Link- This is the link that is automatically generated for you Baker menu. This is the default link that appears before the Connect text box.
- Unique SMS Number – This is your `Text-to-Join` number and will act as a marketing number for those who sign up via `Text-to-Join`.
- Subscribing to you SMS – If you are interested in offering text-to-join, this is the phone number your customers will use to join your customer list. Here are the text-to-join details:
Customers can text "BAKE" or "GO" to the number above to subscribe.
- Texting "MED" or "REC" subscribes as a specific user type.
- Texting "STOP" at any time removes from your SMS marketing.
- Texting "UNSTOP re-subscribes a stopped account.
- Messaging before TCPA compliance text - dd a message letting your customers know who the TCPA compliance message is coming from. Common content for this field includes, Welcome to…, Thanks for signing up with…., etc.
- Auo-appended link for SMS outreach - This is where you will decide whether the default menu is a shortlink, the widget shortlink, or a custom link.
- Custom URL added to Connect messages – If you selected ‘custom link’ from the Auto-appended link for SMS outreach field, this is where you will enter the custom link url.
- ‘Unsubscribe’ confirmation link – If you are using Connect emails, this is the where you will customize the unsubscribe confirmation page link.
- Default button link - This link is where your email link will route to when clicked on, and is the link
- Default hero image – If you decide to send emails and want a logo or image attached to every email that is sent, this field is where you will add the desired image.